MUSKEGON COUNTY, MI — The chemical exposure at a wave pool at Michigan’s Adventure on Friday, July 11 is said to be the result of a small chlorine gas cloud, according to Muskegon County officials.
Muskegon County Hazmat Official Christopher Dean said most of the patients who were treated had difficulty breathing as a result of the exposure to the two chemicals that mixed together, creating a “small chlorine gas cloud.”
“There were two common household pool chemicals – muriatic acid and sodium hypochlorite – which when they mix together in a large enough quantity, produce chlorine gas,” said Dean, who is also the Muskegon Heights fire chief. “Normally, it’s so diluted it doesn’t create a problem.”
At this point, there have been 50 people who have received care, as 26 of them were taken to two separate hospitals.
Michigan’s Adventure is looking into the events that caused this to happen, Dean said. The amusement park shut down the wave pool for the rest of the day and officials are evaluating their procedure.
“It’s too early to make a clear determination on what caused it,” Dean said. “Michigan’s Adventure responded and provided assistance to their patrons and notified other emergency response agencies in the process.”
Muskegon County Sheriff Dean Roesler confirmed that at least two of those who were taken away by Pro Med were lifeguards from the park.
“At least two of the lifeguards that were assigned to that particular pool did respond quickly and rapidly (and) started bringing people to safety,” Roesler said. “In doing so, they exposed themselves and were taken to the hospital where they have respiratory problems.”
The staff in the mailroom here at Michigan Pool News has been swamped by the overwhelming response to Captain Aquatic’s plea for a female sidekick. We share only the best applicants with the Captain, and one particular letter, written on note paper perfumed with the scents of zesty orange blossom and intoxicating lavender, got the stout superhero especially excited.
We read to him, “I can’t get the vision out of my head. You, emerging from the nearby lake, sunlight glistening off your [censored]. Me, lounging in my swimming pool, beckoning you to my side. You, skillfully diving into the deep end, and with one powerful kick, sliding your body…” The Captain’s interruption made us jump. “That would never happen!” he shouted. “It’s completely unsanitary! I would never dive into a swimming pool without showering first!” That’s our superhero – always vigilant.
Captain Aquatic proceeded to deliver a twenty minute tirade about sanitary swimming. We promised to hit some highlights this month. In exchange, we get to help him test drive his new hydroplane designs.
Long time readers are familiar with the Captain’s obsession with the Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) recently published in completion by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Look inside this 300-page document, which covers everything from hand holds to hose bibbs, and you will find 17 mentions of “Cryptosporidium.”
Yes, the CDC is particularly worried about this tiny bug. Lakes and ponds are the creature’s natural habitat. Crypto’s motto: “In through the mouth and then down south; out through the stool and into the pool.” Crypto gets ingested by swimmers and then goes to work in the intestines causing stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Though Crypto is found everywhere on the globe, areas of the country with high concentrations of lakes and rivers, like Michigan, are particularly susceptible. That’s why we use chlorine, right? Wrong. Crypto’s hard outer shell makes it immune to chlorine and bromine. So, the filter system will catch it? Nope. It’s too small for most filters.
If you want to keep your pool Crypto-free, you’ll need a secondary disinfection system. Read the rest of this entry »
For more information on Dolphins here is a pdf that contains dozens of video links Wave Action – Video links – click here
Originally posted on Chemaxx.com
During an investigation of a pool chemical explosion that caused a significant loss of vision due to chemical eye burns, Chemaxx discovered the explosive incompatibility of two seemingly very similar pool chemical products:
Calcium Hypochlorite or Ca(OCl)2
Trichlor or Trichloro-s-triazinetrione
Since both products are sold as a form of “pool chlorine,” consumers most likely would not expect them to be incompatible with each other and might even consider them to be the same pool chemical product.
The video below demonstrates the incompatible, explosive nature of a dry mixture of these two forms of “pool chlorine” after a small amount of water was added. The first explosion occurred within less that one minute of the water being added.
In other tests, another form of “pool chlorine” generally referred to as Dichlor was also shown to be explosively incompatible with calcium hypochlorite.
Consumers need to be aware that Read the rest of this entry »
If all children could swim like this, a lifeguards’s job would be much easier